Monday, June 17, 2013

Pie-lee-a-ted what???

Actually, Pileated Woodpecker.  A pair.  In the tree just outside my window.  And where is my camera?  Lying three rooms away, without batteries!  Arrrrrggggghhhhh!  Okay, so after 20 minutes of watching the fascinating dance of a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers, low on the trunk of a semi-dead tree, moving in tiny hops first in one direction, then in reverse, one on each side of the tree, I finally go for the camera.  Of course, by the time I get the camera, pop in batteries, set the date/time....they've move on to another tree, farther away.  I'll have my camera ready tomorrow morning, and hopefully will be able to get a decent picture.

In the meantime, my mother-in-law's tongue (the plant) has done something I've never seen before.  It bloomed!!! I didn't know the dang things could or would bloom, but mine did!  It has three stems of blooms, the oddest little flowers...so unusual.  Apparently, succulents must be root-bound or nearly so to produce blooms.  The stems in this one appeared just as I was ready to transplant to a larger pot.  I'm so glad I didn't, that I gave it a chance to show me what it could do! Now, I suppose the poor thing is doomed to remain in it's current pot...I want to see whether it will ever bloom again!

(Will edit & post pictures as soon as I figure out where I left the camera!)

No comments:

Post a Comment